[tex-live] TEXINPUTS problem

Thomas Esser te at dbs.uni-hannover.de
Mon Oct 18 11:34:52 CEST 2004

> in the same way as that you are going to explain that he/she needs to
> move/fix his other files (enc, map, script and whatever changes the new
> tds brings): either use a clean tree, or remove your old formats/mems

You are wrong here. You cannot use the same explanation. I don't set up
the search paths for map / enc files to look at new and old places. So,
users will not get into trouble by "random" access to old files that they
don't want.

Yes, it forces users to move their files, but users get a clear error
message if something is not found. Troubleshooting complicated search
paths is a completely different matter.

So, Hans, please explain this to Joe User.

Thomas