[tex-live] TEXINPUTS problem

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Oct 18 11:12:06 CEST 2004

Hi Thoma
> One solution to store file names for different engines is to use the
> scheme $engine/file.fmt. One other is file-$engine.fmt. All that I am
> asking for is to support the second scheme internally. If you have no
> time to implement it, we might fined someone else to do this. Would
> you accept such an extension to texexec?

i can implement such an extension in a few minutes, however: i already
spent way to much time fixing all kind of aspects in my local trees (and
trees that are used on machines that server our projects) that i'm not
going to do it this year; also, fix upon fix is not the solution, esp if
we keep in mind that there are more distributions than web2c;

Adding a prefix would mean ending up with old formats as well; so, i'm
only going to implement such a thing when i reimplement texexec (which
is on my agenda) because then i can also take care of all those downward
compatible issues (cleanup etc);

(i have many more tools than texexec alone, and spent a lot of time on
keeping my trees managable; this years changes in the tds
[enc,map,script] already made me decide that for me personally , this
year is kind of wasted, much work, no benefits; i'd rather spent my time
on manuals)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE