[tex-live] Re: freezing

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Mon Oct 11 13:44:40 CEST 2004

> Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>

>>Uh, given the bug just discovered in e-TeX 2.2, I would say at
>>least that one should stay away from freezing?
>>

> Thats a bug in eTeX, not related to the texmf tree.The more parts we
> freeze, the better, to isolate
> such things.
>
> extraordinarily bad luck, that foul up in eTeX!

Extraordinarily good luck if you ask me. Normally these kind of bugs are
found after release. Now you did find it in the nick of time.

I do have a request. Can we run thefollowing check on the texmf trees:

Check for duplicate entries (e.g. packages keeping outdated copies of
files that are available elsewhere). Initial idea for a perl script:
a. Take a find on the texmf tree and read it into a perl array
b. Write a sort function that sorts on the basis of filename, not directory
c. Sort the array
d. Walk the array and print out all full path entries with duplicate
filenames
Reason: I think I saw a while back that some config cfg file was
replicated in csplain (if I recall correctly) and I am not sure if that is
really safe. I have had situations in the past where these duplicates did
exist and fouled things up.

Gerben