[tex-live] unix/windows inst, binaries

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Oct 7 14:36:13 CEST 2004

    When the final build is due

The final build *is* due.  And done, AFAIK (except, Vladimir, for
sparc-linux and aix, as I said, which you're welcome to do any time).
The (Unix) sources *are* frozen, barring severe bugs.  They haven't
changed in some time now.

Sorry, but I really see no purpose in rebuilding Yet Again after some
mythical freeze point.  Either that will (a) do nothing (best case), or
(b) introduce new bugs and new problems (more likely), not to mention
require another round of testing.  More likely to destabilize than
stabilize, in other words.  I don't want to do it.

Gerben, I don't know what other binaries you think are out of date.
Some of the timestamps are older, yes -- for example, some of the x86_64
binaries are still dated in July.  That doesn't mean that the build did
not happen.  It did.  It means the binaries didn't change, that's all.

BTW, I very much doubt any TL release has ever had binaries that
corresponded perfectly to the sources.