[tex-live] Build of Oct 2, 22:45 source.development fails onMacOS X

Fabrice Popineau fabrice.popineau at supelec.fr
Sun Oct 3 20:43:25 CEST 2004

> I suspect you underestimate the amount of work required.

Possibly. My point is that for most people, it would be easier to fix a
regular (simple) Makefile (if needed) than this autoconf problem.

>  Certainly my
> experience with packages that use this form of configuration is not
> that good: the config file for the host the developer uses is often
> the only one that's actually correct and up-to-date.

The problem is when you try to put together a platform like texlive which is
built out of several independently maintained packages: there are few
chances the developers do use the same version of auto* stuff than you are.
Without speaking of those packages than can compile with or without kpathsea
etc.

> Some of this may be due to using different versions of autoconf, I
> think.  Can you give some concrete examples?

I think I was refereeing to HAVE_DECL_GETENV (GNU grep, doffutils) vs
HAVE_GETENV_H. I must say I haven't look into it, was merely afraid by the
profusion of symbols refereeing to the same function and some new direction
showing up.

But anyway, my point was: who ensures the stability of this set of features?

Fabrice