[tex-live] Re: [OS X TeX] Re: Bug, presumably in texlive 2004

Vladimir Volovich vvv at vsu.ru
Mon Nov 22 13:10:25 CET 2004

"RM" == Ralph Martin writes:

 >> To solve this problem, please try to re-generate the latex format
 >> prolerly, i.e. by running "fmtutil --byfmt latex".

 RM> I did this, but it does not seem to fix the problem.

 RM> Here are the results of (a) running fmtutil as described, by tex
 RM> log for my example.

 RM> (I have also passed on your comments about the class file to the
 RM> author of the class file).

 RM> --------------------------- sudo fmtutil --byfmt latex Password:
 RM> running `pdfetex -ini -jobname=latex -progname=latex
 RM> -translate-file=cp227.tcx *latex.ini' ...  This is pdfeTeX,
 RM> Version 3.141592-1.20a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.3) (INITEX)
 RM> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/web2c/cp227.tcx) output
 RM> format initialized to DVI entering extended mode
 RM> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/config/latex.ini
 RM> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/generic/config/pdftexconfig.tex)

Thanks. Now I can say that the error comes because of the file
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/config/latex.ini
included in your TeX distribution.

The file latex.ini which is included into TeX Live 2004 distribution
contains the following:

===============================
% Thomas Esser, 1998. public domain.

\ifx\pdfoutput\undefined \else
  \ifx\pdfoutput\relax \else
    % We're building the latex format with the pdfetex engine (started 2004).
    % See this file for details.
    \input pdftex-dvi.tex
  \fi
\fi

% the usual format initialization.
\scrollmode
\input latex.ltx
\endinput

I think that the file latex.ini in your TeX distribution (is it from
Gerben's TeX distribution?) is not the same, and should be replaced
with the correct version.

In other words, your TeX distribution is not a TeX Live 2004
distribution, but some mix of old stuff with new stuff.

Best,
v.