[tex-live] Is this a real PNG/pdfTeX error in TL2004? Or Mac OS Xonly?

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Tue Nov 16 16:08:40 CET 2004

On 16 Nov 2004, at 15:51, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> Gerben Wierda wrote:
>
>> libpng 1.2.8beta4 is available. I find this a difficult call. I think
>> I am not in favour of putting a beta library in, but I am in favour
>> of getting Thanh's last fixes in. Thos will be important for people
>> who use pdfTeX.
>
> Only 4.5 people use Thanh's protruding characters,

You are mistaken. In the Mac world there are quite a few people using
it (and the microtype package).

> and they are all more than
> capable of upgrading their binaries after release.

And most of them would not know where to begin upgrading their pdfTeX
from source.

> My instinct is to say no.

I already fixed the PNG bug for my release by installing libpng
1.2.8beta4 (seems to be a bugfix-only release with respect to 1.2.7,
quite saf) on my system, configuring my TL2004 run to compile against
the system png library.

As soon as pdfTeX is updated, I can do the same.