[tex-live] new bin/i386-linux/

Thomas Esser te at dbs.uni-hannover.de
Mon May 31 08:46:27 CEST 2004

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 04:54:25AM +0200, Staszek Wawrykiewicz wrote:
> removed: fontexport, fontimport
> new: ctie
> kpsereadlink replaced readlink

All intentional and correct.

> building binaries makes texmf/web2c/pdftex empty directory.

Hm... That should be fixed...

> As the idea of making formats in web2c/$engine/ was abandoned
> (I agree with Thomas that completely not needed), I'd suggest to correct
> TEXFORMATS = .;$TEXMF/web2c/{$engine,}//
> in texmf.cnf.

There are two reasons for the $engine part and one against it:
  - fmtutil does not support it
  - it is more complicated for users who put a format into their
    local tree (either by hand or by some tool/script) and this being
    "shadowed" by a format in an engine directory (which has higher
    precedence; no matter which texmf tree)
  + some people want to use a shared format name for more than one engine

If someone can give good additional arguments, these would be welcome.
For the moment, I tend to prefer the solution without the $engine
part. Maybe, texexec can solve this for context? It could place context's
formats to web2c/$engine and also overwrite the TEXFORMATS variable.

> Do we still need PDFTEXCONFIG in texmf.cnf?

I don't know where pdftex is going to. My last question about the future
of the config file (private mail to Martin) is still unanswered.

> Ps. Han The Thanh mentioned that pdftex is 1.20-rc4. On p4 we have still
> 1.20a-rc3-2.1

Thanh wrote a week :-) ago:
  Please test it if you can; after about a week I will upload my changes
  to texlive p4 if no problems are found.

So, maybe, he'll make the changes in our tree very soon.

Thomas