[tex-live] Problems compiling on alpha

Thomas Esser te at dbs.uni-hannover.de
Tue May 11 10:52:15 CEST 2004

> configuring in xpdf
> checking for POSIXized ISC... no
> ../../../../TeX/libs/xpdf/configure: AC_PROG_CC_STDC: command not found
> checking for c++... c++

That was caused by change #4366 (Sebastian remade the configure files).
I have tried the same some days ago and TeX/libs/xpdf/configure failed
for me, too. So I did a "p4 revert TeX/libs/xpdf/configure" before
submitting stuff.

The reason for the failiure is that Martin (no offense, just a fact :-)
has used a different approach then me for adopting xpdf to our
needs. While I have eliminated checks for the xpdf viewer and adjusted
the configure.in to work with autoconf-2.13, Martin has taken a different
route.

The conclusion is that TeX/libs/xpdf/configure should be taken out of
reautoconf, because this is supposed to work with autoconf-2.13. Or,
Martin might as well decide to switch to my approach for the configure
stuff for xpdf (it is available in yesterday's teTeX-beta). I plan to
keep my approach for teTeX, so the extra work needed for the adoption
to old autoconf will be done by me anyway.

> Is it enough to copy config.sub from somewhere else to lcdf-typetools?

config.sub and config.giess should be considered as a matching pair. One
can replace them with a new version, but this should be done everywhere,
then.

Karl, do you have a good location for these files? Can you auto-update them?
In fact, I somehow thought that you were already doing this.

Thomas