[tex-live] lambda, omega, latex.ini

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue May 11 08:59:04 CEST 2004

Hi Fabrice,

> > then put 'm where you like, as long as one doesn't suggest some logic
> > behind patterns you're safe -)
>
>What do you mean ? If there is no simple logic behind files location, I
>won't package them.

patterns, fonts and macros are different things; either we treat all things
as equal and put them all under tex, or we organize them according to their
function and content; i'll explain this in more detail when we meet again;
it does not hurt tex now, and it make no sense to keep reorganizing the
tree, but in tex-descendants things may/will be different, but then there
will be maybe another tree altogether

concerning patterns, just look at the content, filenames and locations ...
it's a bit of a mess; for instance, they are encoding dependent but do you
see any relation between filenames and encodings (only ru and uk); there
are old ane new versions, but no date of introduction; some are
multi-encoding ones, they use their own private set of macros, some names
have two char, some three char language codes, i see something bahyph.sh
there (i wonder where that will end up under texmf/scripts (which subpath:
generic, hyphen, language, enc ?)); btw, the names of files have improved
over time; it is in itself interesting that the area that tex is strong in
(hyphenation) is organized this way -)

Hans