[tex-live] TL2004: Technical problems and testing

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri May 7 20:18:43 CEST 2004

    - For writes to the terminal and log, isprint(3) function is used, and
      this is locale-dependent.

Which is what we did last year, is that correct?

    Given the amount of feedback I've had, I've mainly gone on my sense of
    what would be useful, usable, and (I think) comprehensible.

It seems like a very flexible infrastructure.  We just need to make sure
that the formats which get built by default are 8-bit, in one of the
ways you've provided.  Thomas, I suppose you already have that working
in teTeX, so maybe there is nothing more to be done at this point?

    What I would like to do, is to use only three extensions: .fmt for
    formats, .base for bases, and .mem for mems.

This sounds like a clean approach, better than the current hodgepodge.

You've got my vote too :).

Thanks,