[tex-live] Re: [NTG-pdftex] pdftex.cfg (was: pdfetex as the only engine)

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Wed Mar 10 03:31:29 CET 2004

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Martin [iso-8859-1] Schröder wrote:

> On 2004-03-09 22:00:55 +0100, Fabrice Popineau wrote:
> > > The priorities for configuration should be input, cfg and fmt in
> > > descending precedence.
> >
> > I can agree and restore pdftex.cfg reading, but that may result in a
> > mess to understand why pdf_output is such or such value.
>
> Yes. And it would make dumping pdf_output in the format
> superfluous.

??? As I understand, dumping pdf_output in the format is the main
advantage, so running 'latex foo' will just output foo.dvi and
'pdflatex foo' will output foo.pdf
It seems that things now works well, so many thanks for doing the last
changes. Only some notes:
1. world.log says for every pdf* -ini run
    output format initialized to DVI
 fortunatelly .ini file is then read and proper output is set here, so the
 result is OK (for the first moment I was in trouble reading that ;-)
2. pdftex.ini \input bplain instead of plain.tex
   This problem returns again and again... Why on hell!?
3. it is perhaps good time to remove pdfelatex and elatex (Fabrice already
   did that for win32). This would be one more step towards removing
   other engines/links.

MS>> So we simply drop the cfg?

FP> That's what I would do. Unless someone has strong objection.

Perhaps Hans? I remember that he has some arguments for using cfg

Ps. I've submited new i386-linux binaries upto #4464

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
StaW at gust.org.pl