[tex-live] Re: install for compressed CD

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Jun 21 08:14:11 CEST 2004

Staszek Wawrykiewicz wrote:

>I tried with another tl-compressed made after #5137
>and installed using default settings (recommended scheme).
>Some notes what has failed

OK, I will look at these in due course. Can you confirm that the install
from the "live" image

>[As for me I would prefer merging the installed stuff into one texmf/
>but I'm scared to start any new discussion. It is so difficult to check
>the completness, what goes where, etc...]

please lets not discuss that again  :-{
it has taken me at least many months to get the system working after the
changes,
and I don't much want to revert it all

>I investigated many people and they tend (like me) to keep all such stuff
>(config files and formats) in texmf-var/, leaving texmf-local/ for
>user's macros&fonts. Now we have some mess in that (e.g. Win32
>still uses texmf-var/ for cnf&fmt). I'd be really happy if we could
>keep compatibility between different platforms...
>Thomas, we discussed that problem, perhaps it is good time to reconsider
>that on TL forum?

I feel fairly agnostic on this. Lets agree on how its supposed to work,
and stick to it...

sebastian