[tex-live] more testing

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Jun 10 09:13:23 CEST 2004

Hi again,

I have a kind of recovery mode in texexec that generates formats when
they are not found. For that I run "kpsewhich cont-en.efmt"; of course
that will fail in the new fmt regime. The new cnf file says:

% Dump files (fmt/base/mem) for vir{tex,mf,mp} to read (see web2c/INSTALL),
% and string pools (.pool) for ini{tex,mf,mp}.  It is silly that we have six
% paths and directories here (they all resolve to a single place by
default),
% but historically ...
TEXFORMATS =            .;$TEXMF/web2c/{$engine,}//
MFBASES    =            $TEXFORMATS
MPMEMS     =            $TEXFORMATS
TEXPOOL    =            $TEXFORMATS
MFPOOL     =            $TEXFORMATS
MPPOOL     =            $TEXFORMATS

since we're breaking with the past and since this new setting will
undoubtely interfere with existing older installations (i.e. when one
sets the env var without engine in which case he/she will find out that
multiple engines will clash) ... why not break abit more with the past
and get rid of the 5 duplicates; or maybe even use a new variable

TEXMFDUMPS

When defined, that one is used, otherwise the old ones are used. This
permits new versions (distributions) to start using the $engine system,
while older binaries will not fail on it since they don't know about
this new engine regime.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE