[tex-live] volunteer to implement lcab compression?

Thomas J. Kacvinsky tjk at ams.org
Tue Jun 8 21:59:32 CEST 2004

Eeek!  Seeking around in a compressed file is not easy at all.

I know that it would be relatively easy to implement ZIP compression
in lcab, with the understanding that separate files go into separate
data blocks (i.e., no one file is split between data blcoks), but I
am not sure if the tools out there in *NIX land grok these types of
cabinet files...

As for convincing Fabrice about ZIP inside CAB:  we could then get around
implementing ZIP compression in lcab, but then Fabrice's installer would
have to postprocess the ZIP archive.  Not sure how easy that is/isn't in
the MSI framework...

Tom