[tex-live] Re: Re: Please enable ipc in tex

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue Jul 20 19:23:22 CEST 2004

Hi,

This keeps cropping up. I do not think that it can be done without a major
effort.

When Adobe says "linearized" or "optimized" in reference to PDF documents,
then for the producing program of a PDF document this works as follows:

- process the entire document as normal, until reaching the end of typesetting,
  where you have all of the needed information for the optimization step.

- now go back to the beginning to create the /Linearization dictionary
  and the first cross-ref table using that gathered information.

- write final output file.

As a result, creating linearized PDF is a slow process. In fact quite a bit
slower than if you wouldn't have bothered in the first place. Therefore,
this is unusable, and as a result, so is previewing in the Reader.

Your only option is to create a new previewer (or modify xpdf/gs to allow
incremental file reads). That would be a mayor amount of work, but nearly
all of it outside of pdftex.

Greetings, Taco

news:44336.159.46.248.216.1090251227.squirrel at mail.rna.nl...