[tex-live] --with-etex, --without-etex, --with-pdftex, --without-pdftex ?

Olaf Weber olaf at infovore.xs4all.nl
Sat Jul 3 19:58:20 CEST 2004

Olaf Weber writes:

> Perhaps a very stupid question, but is the following in tetex.ac a
> wise choice for TeX-live?

> : ${with_etex=no}
> export with_etex

> : ${with_pdftex=no}
> export with_pdftex

> I noticed this because the Makefiles are broken in some fashion: with
> these settings, it looks like pdftex is nevertheless built during
> normal build, while etex is build during 'make install'.  Of course,
> with these explicitly disabled, neither should be built at all...

On reflection, I recall that this was, indeed, a delibrate choice: to
build tex and pdfetex and leave the rest be (pdfxtex?).  Which in turn
means that etex and pdftex should be symbolic links for all platforms,
which at present they are not.  Are we that much behind in building
these?

--
Olaf Weber