[tex-live] TL in CVS on Berlios

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Jan 12 21:14:13 CET 2004

Gerben Wierda wrote:

> You can do nice things with massive calculation power.

such as? I am not saying no-one needs it, but it seems a very niche
application to me

> But that was not the point. The point is that Mac has left the stage
> that they were too slow, cumbersome for powerful work flows (simple UI
> work only) and unstable. The Virginia tech example is nice because
> with a very cheap cluster, the guys there were able to take 3rd place
> far beyond all the PC-solutions out there

Why, technically speaking,? what have Apple done better that the PC
folks? It cannot be the OS,
I assume? Genuinely curious now.

> . It is an illustration about how far Mac has come from the old days.
> I would not have touched a Mac with asbestos gloves. Nowadays, they
> are my favourite machine. And many people (especially power users)
> discover that.

ok, I give in. If someone sends me a Mac portable for my birthday, I
promise faithfully to use it....

sebastian