[tex-live] more CVS fun

Baden Hughes badenh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon Jan 12 05:38:19 CET 2004

For posterity, simultaneous tests from AARNet (Australian Academic
Network) ...

Berlios
=======
badenh at estragon ~/windeskdata/2004/projects/berlios
$ time cvs -Q -z9 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.texlive.berlios.de:/cvsroot/texlive co .

real    3m30.665s
user    0m14.780s
sys     1m29.468s

Sarovar
=======
badenh at estragon ~/windeskdata/2004/projects/berlios
$ time cvs -Q -z9 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.texlive.berlios.de:/cvsroot/texlive co .

This ran for 20 minutes of wall clock time before I gave up ...

Obviously one of these is much faster than the other (Berlios).

For comparison, checking out a very similar sized project from SourceForge takes approximately 50%
of the time of the Berlios test above.

The way I view this it probably doesn't matter where the CVS repository
lives as long as the facilities on which it is hosted are reliable and
redundant (multi-homed networks, high availability storage etc) . Added
bonuses are things like project management tools and build farms, but there's no particular reason why these all need to be in
the same place (apart from convenience).

Baden