[tex-live] Problems installing doublestroke ps-1 fonts and updmap

Thomas Esser te at dbs.uni-hannover.de
Thu Feb 5 19:39:45 CET 2004

> C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\susaneu>updmap --enable MixedMap dstroke.map
> Kpathsea released!
> using config file f:/Programme/TeXLive/texmf-var/web2c/updmap.cfg
> f:/Programme/TeXLive/texmf-var/web2c/updmap.cfg unchanged. Map files not
> recreat
> ed.

Please check the content of
f:/Programme/TeXLive/texmf-var/web2c/updmap.cfg.  If it already contains
a line "MixedMap dstroke.map", it makes no sense to --enable it again.
In that case, just run updmap without any further commandline argument.
It will rebuild all map files, then.

> Other point: My first suggestion was I put it wrong in the file structure
> due to the "new" TDS conventions. I'm reading here the arising problems,
> e.g. thread "[tex-live] map, enc and bugs.html" and I have had masssive

That's future stuff for TeX Live 2004.

> problems to put my personal files in a right way to being accessed by
> TeXLive. This is a big problem for me because I'm normally using "Textures"

You actually might run into trouble by using a wrong dvips.map /
pdftex.map due to the overblown search path in TeX Live 2003.
Please, try something like
  dvips -d 64 sample2e -o
to see if the newly generated dvips.map is used or some other file
in a different texmf tree. In that case, remove the old file that
shadows the new one.

> from BlueSky-Research on my old Mac but I'm trying to port many of my
> documents to Windows and TexLive and there it takes me very long to get
> them run because the TDS conventions and the search paths are making the
> most trouble for me.

map files did not have their proper TDS location before Feb. 2003. Now,
we have to get it right in applications and distributions which takes
some time.

TeX Live 2003 already tries to go the "be compatible" route by having
the old and the new locations in the search path. I think that this is
doing more harm than good and that we should not make that mistake again.

But, again and again I hear this "give us one year" argument. I have
already given lots of arguments against it and I am tired in repeating
them.

> I'm a little bit suprised what I'm doing wrong here and my only idea is to
> add them totally by hand to the .cfg and .ps configuration files?

Don't give up. :-)

Thomas