[tex-live] a cbgreek ligature and lmodern

Pablo Rodríguez ousia at gmx.net
Wed Feb 4 20:33:03 CET 2004

Hi there,

I have been using MikTeX for a couple of years, but when I moved to
Linux (MDK 9.2) I installed TeXLive 2003.

TeXLive is great and congratulations for the excellent work.

With the cbgreek type1 version that comes with cm-super there is a small
problem with alpha plus iota subscript ligatures, since the iota is only
subscript when no the alpha has no diacritics (either accent, spiritus
or both).

In order to check this, here you have a small document:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[greek]{babel}
\languageattribute{greek}{polutoniko}
\begin{document}
a| >a| >'a| >`a| >~a| <a| <'a| <`a| <~a|
\end{document}

It also happens in TeXLive 2003 for Windows, but not in MikTeX (I was
told). [Actually, the final version my dissertation contains a displaced
iota subscript, but if this could be fixed... ]

I have read that the use of lmodern is recommended. I have tried to use
it as an alternative for cm-super, but in this case Greek italics seem
not to switch properly. There must be something there, but I get the
following messages in the log file:

LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `LGR/lmr/m/n' undefined
(Font)              using `LGR/cmr/m/n' instead on input line 6.

LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `LGR/lmr/m/it' undefined
(Font)              using `LGR/lmr/m/n' instead on input line 8.

[1{/usr/TeX/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}] (./a.aux)

LaTeX Font Warning: Some font shapes were not available, defaults
substituted.

Is there any way to avoid this so that I can use all cbgreek fonts with
lmodern?

Thanks for your help,

Pablo