[tex-live] map, enc and bugs.html

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Tue Feb 3 14:59:55 CET 2004

I found that the last additions to bugs.html are rather appropriate
for the new release documentation. TL2003 as it was mastered and
distributed is somehow in a half-way of TDS recommendations.

> change of the <a href="/tds/">TeX Directory Standard</a> made in
> February 2003&#151;which means that you need to rearrange your local
> texmf
> trees if they still use the old organization, or your local map and
> encoding files will not be found.  Specifically:
>
> <ul>
> <li>if you have map files inside the dvips or pdftex local directory
>     tree, move them to fonts/map.

On TL2003 they are _still_ inside dvips directory. Only global map
files are built by updmap in fonts/map/

> <li>If you have enc files inside the local dvips directory tree, move
>     them to fonts/enc.
> <li>If you have input files for etex, mltex, omega and pdftex at the top
>     level of your local directory tree, move them to the tex
>     subtree. Try to preserve the structore that was below the old tree,
>     e.g., move pdftex/foo/baa/x.tex to tex/foo/baa/x.tex.
> </ul>

If the user has to do all the above, texmf.cnf should be also changed.

> in the right place.  It is only your local directory trees which may
> need rearranging.

Sorry, not yet true... Eh, yes, true, but only on p4 depot, thus
not appropriate for TL2003.

Thanks,

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz