[tex-live] mf segfault

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Sun Dec 19 22:31:27 CET 2004

On my Linux box, using the TeXLive binaries (perforce depot
2004/Dec/15), I get a segfault.  After executing

   mf "\mode=proof; \input feta20"

on the attached files, metafont stops for a few minutes, then the
crash happens.

Note that I don't expect that the attached code work (right now I'm
experimenting with the roex package), but IMHO metafont shouldn't
abort like this.

Running with gdb, I see many, many calls to `error' in the backtrace
-- perhaps a recursive behaviour of mf triggers the bug in GNU libc
2.3.3?

I currently don't have time to reduce the example, but maybe the fix
is obvious...

    Werner