[tex-live] Re: [tex-fonts] license of the Bakoma Type1 fonts?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Dec 17 23:57:22 CET 2004

Hi Walter,

    the license of the Bakoma Type1 fonts on CTAN

      CTAN:fonts/cm/ps-type1/bakoma/BaKoMa-AMS.Fonts

    forbids any commercial use, unless explicitly granted by the author.
    Despite that, the Bakoma Type1 fonts are distributed with TeXLive,
    in the directory texmf/fonts/type1/bakoma/.  Is this based upon a
    special agreement between Basil K. Malyshev and the TeXLive team,
    or are the fonts actually under a "free" license now?

There are no special agreements.  Everything on TL is supposed to be
FSF/Debian-free, as things stand now.  So it looks like including the
bakoma ams fonts in TL is simply a mistake.  I'll remove them.

Fortunately they are not used by default, as I recall, so it makes
little practical difference.  (The original fonts from AMS are used
instead.)

(I don't know if they're in teTeX.)

Thanks,
karl