[tex-live] Problems installing texlive2004 on Solaris 2.8

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Dec 14 02:26:36 CET 2004

    Wasn't even created

Very peculiar.  I'm having trouble imagining why that is.

    drwxr-sr--   2 creagrs  twolf       4096 Dec 10 17:08 lists/

It's a bit odd to have r and not x on a directory, but I can't see that
that is the problem, since clearly you have permission to write it.

    I can do the unzip manually into the correct location and re-run the
    installation (tomorrow).  I didn't think the install removes the directory
    prior to install, does it?

No, it doesn't.  I'm not sure if doing the unzip manually will help, it
might confuse things worse, but I guess it's worth a try.  (I've only
ever tried installing into a new directory.)

If you run install-tl.sh --debug, you'll get a bunch more output, that
might help pinpoint the problem.  For truly voluminous output, we might
have to resort to bash -vx install-tl.sh --debug.

I can also try to dig up a solaris 5.8 machine to try on, if need be.

Best,
karl