[tex-live] running programs from texlive tlc2

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Dec 9 15:52:39 CET 2004

David Kastrup wrote:

> b) Heavily I/O bound operations, like writing temporary data out to a
>    file on a per-line or per-character base and immediately reading it
>    back in again.  Probably avoidable with eTeX's token reparsing
>    operations.

normally this is no problem, unless network connected disks are used and even
then, caching quite good on windows; (ok, if one uses xfs on linux then files
with a short live time never reach the disk, but then, journaling slows down the
lot, so in practice it should not matter)

> c) The same in connection with a defective operation of the file name
>    data base.
>
> In all of those possibly OS-dependent cases (except for some
> variations of a) I can think of, however, the generated .log file
> would become very large, and cutting out a "typical" passage from it
> should give a good first pointer about what might be contributing
> towards the slowdown (file operations are usually visible in the log).
> And even the eTeX-or-not question is answered by the start of the log
> file.

d) logging to the terminal coul dplay a role, large scroll back buffers combined
with outline fonts can be slow (although i only encountered this a sproblem on
linux)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE