[tex-live] installation of beamer package

George N. White III aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Thu Dec 2 17:17:38 CET 2004

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, J M Smith wrote:

> Dear Tug:
>    I wanted to install a package called beamer into my tex-live program.
> I downloaded it and installed the package in my directory on C:\Program
> Files\TeXLive\texmf-local\
> but am not able to link it in to the configuration. I clicked on the
> maintenance button and tried to
> get TexLive to configure the package, but I get the error message:
>
>    can't find the C:\Program Files\TeXLive\texmf-local\binary TPM
> directory.
>
>    Can anyone help?

I'm not sure what you did.  I installed a new version of beamer from CTAN
into texmf-local on TeX Live 2003 a while ago, but on unix machines.  The
"TeX Maintenance" button in Win32 is for packages that are part of TeX
Live 2003, which don't go into texmf-local, so I don't know why you
get an error for texmf-local

There is a recent version of beamer in TL2004.  There is no Win32
installer (excerise left to the reader!).  My solution is to install on
linux but add Win32 to the list of binary packages and xemtex to the list
of packages.  Then I archive the directory tree on unix, delete the old
tree on Win32, and unpack the new archive into the same directory, e.g.,
C:\...\TeXLive.  This allows me to keep the registry settings.  Where
users have installed into C:\...\TL2003 I have to edit the registry
entries.

--
George N. White III  <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca>
   Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada