[tex-live] tpm Title and description fields

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Mon Aug 30 04:46:25 CEST 2004

I decided to send the following to the mailing list.
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Fabrice Popineau wrote (to me):

> > 1. so many items shows: "No caption" or "No description available"
> > (last year I filled up or corrected more then 200 title or description
> > fields, but that tedious work somehow dissapeared. Should I reinsert
> > that?
>
> My opinion is that they should be reinserted yes, but not in texlive.
> Rather they should be submitted to Graham Williams to be put in his
> catalogue. The tpm tools fetch this information automatically now.

Hmm... now I understand why pl.tpm has:
<TMP:Title>Literate Programming for Prolog with LaTeX</TPM:Title>
but the package contains PL fonts in MF and PFB. The name "pl"
was changed according Fabrice's suggestion to follow directory names.
As so many packages have different names to catalogue, we still
cannot do it automatically.

> However, I noticed that lately the xml entries for the catalogue have
> disappeared from texmf-doc/doc/english/catalogue. I wonder if some
> descriptions have not disappeared just because of that.

I'm completely lost what we can do. In TL's <Title> fields I found:
37 x Macro package for TeX (the most popular).
95 x No caption.
 7 x No description available.
==
139 altogether