[tex-live] Re: Re: incremental pdf (was: Please enable ipc in tex)

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Tue Aug 3 14:02:26 CEST 2004

"Jonathan Fine" <J.Fine at open.ac.uk> writes:

> "Karl Berry" <karl at freefriends.org> wrote in message
> news:200408021334.i72DYLH09664 at f7.net...
> >     why anything other than pdftex is still there and supported? As
> >     "historical compatibility baggage"
> >
> > No, there are valid reasons for both routes.  pstricks, for example,
> > cannot be supported in pdftex.
> >
> > This is not the right list for this discussion.
>
> Karl, I agree with you.

Well, I disagreed with him before your mail here and gave the
reasons.

Whatever the right list happens to be, this particular horse has been
beaten to death at least half a year ago and all relevant decisions
have been discussed and made then.  Take a look at the archives of the
TeXlive and the teTeX developer lists.

> I suggest we move this discussion to comp.text.tex.

The advantage seems to be that one might have better chances to
pretend this horse has not been beaten to death already.

But if you use Google search with appropriate keywords, you'll notice
that you won't exactly present something new to frequent readers
there.

> I suggest that we post a summary of this discussion,
> and a URL pointing to the original thread, to comp.text.tex.

There was no discussion worth noting, just comments that this has been
amply dealt with before.  Anyway, you got your priorities wrong.
comp.text.tex is an open unmoderated Usenet group without specific
topic, this list is a closed mailing list with subscribed members.  If
you are uncertain about the value of posting something on
comp.text.tex, just go ahead there instead of pestering people here
about whether you should do it: you will annoy and distract fewer
people in the process.

Always assuming that this could be a consideration for you, of course.