[tex-live] The fonts/{map,enc} location problem (updmap)

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Mon Sep 29 12:28:24 CEST 2003

Summary of what went before:

updmap now writes in TEXMFLOCAL/fonts/map and TEXCONFIG and other
variables have been changed to include those directories. Sadly,
though, the new variables search the old subdirectory location before
the new one, so you can run updmap until you die, but as long as stuff
is (still) available in older subdirectories, it will not be used. This
is problematic in my situation as my distribution is used to update
existing setups (with old updmap results in temf.local) as well because
my distribution is based on teTeX's texmf tree (which contains older
updmap results in the dvips subdirectory).

Solution:

I have changed the following variables in my texmf.cnf to repair this
buglet.

TEXPSHEADERS            =
.;$TEXMF/{{fonts/{map,enc}/{dvips,},dvips},pdftex,tex,fonts/type1}//
TEXCONFIG               = $TEXMF/{fonts/{map,enc}/{dvips,},dvips}//
TEXPSHEADERS.gsftopk    =
.;$TEXMF/{{fonts/{map,enc}/{dvips,},dvips},pdftex,tex,fonts/
{type1,truetype}}//
DVIPDFMINPUTS           =
.;$TEXMF/{dvipdfm,{fonts/{map,enc}/{dvips,},dvips}}//
XDVIINPUTS              =
.;$TEXMF/{xdvi,{fonts/{map,enc}/{dvips,},dvips}}//

And now indeed the stuff in the new fonts/map locations generated by
updmap is found before the old stuff in the dvips/config location.

I would like to propose a similar change in TeX Live, the current
situation is not robust.

Some discussions on what to do with each of the ones above might still
be a good idea (TEXCONFIG seems to be enough for this problem, but
maybe similar 'update' problems exist for the other variables)