[tex-live] Political showstopper

Fabrice Popineau Fabrice.Popineau at supelec.fr
Sat Sep 13 20:32:52 CEST 2003

> So I hope we are using GNU Ghostscript (last release 7.07), not
> Aladdin Ghostscript (8.11) on TL!

Yes, I put the GNU 7.07.

> One good source for license compatibility information is
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html

I read this source. I still wonder about all the license stuff. See below.

>     I'm not the one who suggested stopping working on TeXLive.

> I'm glad to hear that!

Hmm well, I said that I'm ready to withdraw the win32 part from the
distribution if we can't ensure that the problem won't happen again.

> However, the other things you've mentioned, such as donating to the
> user groups, or even simply acknowledging the user groups, are not
> legal requirements.  They would certainly be desirable and courteous
> actions, but they cannot be made requirements of free software.

In  a  sense,  I see this  business   as doomed then.  As  soon  as your
development   cost  will raise  and  reach  some   amount  of  money (no
indication of the amount), you won't  be able to steal resources anymore
(time, bandwidth etc.)  from the group and you will fail to go on.

I won't go for a philosophical discussion about it, we need a practical
solution. What I would like to hear is the opinion of as many LUG members as
possible of what to do in the future.

--
Fabrice