[tex-live] Re: testing 27/28

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Thu Sep 4 20:02:10 CEST 2003

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Volker RW Schaa wrote:

> First I had it installed on drive f: and everything seemed ok.
> Several days ago, I decided to throw away my old TL7 installation
> on c:, and put a new one ontop of it.
> To get rid of TL alltogether, I first deinstalled TL8 from f:,
> than started to install new on c: over the old TeXLive/texmf tree.
> I've tried it now several times (9 to be exact), and every time
> installation starts ok, and after 70--80% of the installation
> I get a blue screen. *E*V*E*R*Y* TIME!!
>
> Has anybody experienced something similar, when installing *over*
> an old installation? Any advice??

Well, my diagnose: TL8 from f:\ _wasn't_ uninstalled. Fabrice cured
it some days ago (removing RO attributes after new installation and so)
I'm afraid you have mess in registry: old installation on C:
and those on F: not cleaned well. Open regedit, find texlive
and clean all keys found, then install from the _current_ image
over your old installation on c:

I've just installed TL7 on clean machine, then started new TeXSetup
and installed TL8(2003) over an TL7 installation in the same directory.
Things went smoothly, even old config files were backup.

> Helpless, Volker
Ehh... why so?

> PS: I was a bit surprised, that it's not possible anymore to select
>     one's favorite editor. No winshell anymore for people who want
>     to test a simple windows environment?

It was too complicated to maintain all sort of the software.
support/WinShell or support/vim are on all CDs/DVD and you can install
it by just clicking on exe file.

> Surprise2: that *all* binaries of gs, perl, imagemagick etc. go
>     into texlive/bin/win32.

Those binaries are integrated as XEmTeX bundle, but GS, Perl, etc.
can be installed separatedly without installing Xemacs.
Go to 'Packages Selection' -> tex-xemtex
All libs files are also installed in TeXlive tree, but the advantage
is that TeXSetup now sets proper environment variables.
It is not the case when you install GS from the standard distribution,
when eg. GS_LIB is not set, but is needed by many batch programs
(like epstopdf).

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
StaW at gust.org.pl