[tex-live] Creating a document with same font in different resolutions (bitmap)?

Gerben Wierda Sherlock at rna.nl
Sat May 3 18:40:59 CEST 2003

On Saturday, May 3, 2003, at 11:45 Europe/Amsterdam, Gerben Wierda
wrote:

> I want to create a file for testing printers. Because I want to test
> ultimate output, I want to include bitmap fonts as well as vector
> fonts.
>
> What I would really like to do is create *one* PDF with several pages
> of the exact same output (same font, same text, same layout), but in
> different resolutions, initially 400dpi, 600dpi and 1200dpi, as well
> as vector output (using type1). I want to use the CM fonts, because
> the type1 versions of those fonts have been hand-tuned.
>
> Is here a way to do this?

Someone with full Acrobat was so friendly as to concatenate them for me.

Please folks, have a look at http://www.ntg.nl/macosx-tex/quality-test/
and tell me if
a) you know that there are better ways to test TeX printer results
b) the explanation given there is correct

The problem I am facing is that I find output with bitmap fonts
generally to look worse than output with type1 versions of that same
font. That surprises me because isn't it so that the bitmaps shoul
dprovide the best result if they were generated for the printer you are
using?

Gerben