[tex-live] libkpathsea dynamically linked

Thomas Esser te at dbs.uni-hannover.de
Wed Feb 26 07:02:35 CET 2003

> Will it be standard that tex and friends is linked with a .so version of
> libkpathsea? I just found out that my build from source.development is
> like this.

Good point. Shared libraries should not be used if the binaries are
to be run from everywhere. People would have either to put the shared
libraries at a certain place in the filesystem (where the dynamic linker
looks by default or to a directory specified at compile-time) or fiddle
around with env-variables like LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

For the binaries that are distributed with TL, the shared libkpathsea
should not be used.

Thomas