[tex-live] TL8 timetable etc.

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Tue Apr 15 10:22:09 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 01:36, Staszek Wawrykiewicz wrote:
> > 1. what Dante members expect for TL8?
> I told them that there will be a set with:
>    1 DVD   TeXLive8 (fully expanded version with what ever you find worth
>                      including)
>            CTAN (uncompressed)
>    1 CD    TeXLive8 (ready-to-run for Linux, Win, and MacOSX)
>    1 CD    TeXLive8 (compressed, with binaries for more operating systems)
> So this "set" is decided upon. What you are going to put
> on these CDs/DVD is up to you.
> The space is 700MB for the CDs and 8GB for the DVD (the
> space CTAN takes after reorganisation, who knows ~3GB?)

I am OK with this. I have the mechanisms in place for this, noting that
the first CD will NOT be installable, or have any support material. It
will have just bin, man, info and texmf

I also need Fabrice to confirm that the Windows installer will
still work on the uncompressed DVD?

> > 2. proposed deadline
> DANTE agreed with Lehmanns that the package should be on
> the market in August. The production of CDs/DVD is mainly
> set by printing the cover (~2 weeks), pressing is just 2--3
> days for 7000 copies.

OK, that makes me feel better, since I have absolutely no time
between now and the end of May for TeX :-}

> So with the somewhat extended time scale for producing the TL8,
> you still have some time. I would select option
>   c) delay TeXLive 8 until the new TeX is in

if Olaf and Thomas have the time to produce a new web2c source tree
by the end of May, we should be OK
--
Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>
OUCS