[tex-live] texlive7 and MacOSX

Gerben Wierda sherlock@rna.nl
Mon, 20 May 2002 10:39:40 +0200

> I have the following message from Polish testers:
> uname -a
> "Darwin Kernel Version 5.4: Wed Apr 10 09:27:47 PDT 2002;
> root:xnu/xnu-201.19.3.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC  Power Macintosh powerpc"

This is the last Mac OS X.

> MacOS 10.1.4, bash (installed from the net) 2.0.5.
> but install-cd.sh didn't detected such system (it was 2 weeks ago,
> perhaps newer script works better).
>
> As concerned bash, some Macs have already bash, or can take it easilly
> from the net.

I vehemently disagreee. A Mac user is not your average unix user and has
a) no idea how to do this and b) has by default *no* compiler on his
system. TeX Live should work *as is* on Mac OS X *as is*. And there is
only one script (the recently updated updmap system) that does not work.

> I've heard about installer TexLive for MacOS X:
> ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/comp/macosx/volumes/TeX-fat.dmg (+ TeXLive)
> ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/comp/macosx/volumes/TeX-thin.dmg (only installer)
>
> "shell":
> http://www.u-bourgogne.fr/monge/j.laurens/iTeXMac/
>
> To conclude:
> 1. at least one paragraph to tldoc would be welcome (Gerben?)

Have a look at http://www.rna.nl/tex.html. I am currently extremely
pressed for time and do not have time to look at tldoc (never have
looked at it before).

> 2. readme file located on the CD/ should better explain things
>    concerning MacOSX.

I might be able to write a draft. How much time do I have?