[tex-live] texdoctk

Kaja P. Christiansen kaja@daimi.au.dk
Wed, 8 May 2002 16:14:44 +0200

Sebastian Rahtz writes:

 > > that only the docs from the Master tree are used (I tend to add
 > > lots of documentation to texmf-local) .
 >
 > if you have good docs in texmf-local, why dont we have them on TL?

I said 'lots' :-) Most of it we do have on TL. I guess docs in
texmf-local can be (roughly) divided into 3 categories:
- important updates and new packages from CTAN since TL6. these are on
TL7 already.
- documentation produced from .dtx files, for packages which are not
documented otherwise. this could, in principle, go to TL, provided
there is free space and enough time.
- licensed local stuff, which can't be distributed.

 > I have never used texdoctk before today :-}

I think texdoctk is a very nice tool. For example, if one runs texdoc
to look for, say, wonderful 'Comprehensive LaTeX Symbol List', not much
is found. texdoctk, however - when properly initialized - will display
symbols-a4.pdf or symbols-letter.pdf.

Kaja