[tex-live] New info on omega/Mac OS X problem. Baffles me completely.

Gerben Wierda sherlock@rna.nl
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 23:29:38 +0200

Ok, here it goes. I have been able to get a omega in place that does not
crash on bus error when trying to create the omega or lambda format.

When I do a normal install ftom TeX Live, I get an omega that crashes
(seemingly at the moment) when it starts to dump.

When I then install the omega binary by hand (assume "which" is doing
the right thing, I checked),

	/usr/bin/install -c -p TeXLive/Build/source/bin/powerpc-apple-
darwin5.4/omega `which omega`
	strip `which omega`

I get an omega that does not crash and produces the fmt.

Now, I am completely baffled. Because what else does a TeX Live install
do except run /usr/bin/install and a strip? When I look at the result of
the TeX Live install and the install-by-hand I notice that the latter
produces an omega file that is 4 bytes shorter. How is this possible?

So, to solve this riddle, I need to know what web2c install does that
might influence the outcome of an install.