[tex-live] pdftex collection incomplete?

Staszek Wawrykiewicz StaW@guests.ipipan.gda.pl
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 03:58:28 +0200 (CEST)

I found on TUG changed `Basic TeX' scheme (texlive-basic.tpm)
with added context and etex collections. It seems to me that people
no more can have really *basic* installation (tex, latex, pdftex,
metapost) ;-))
All that mess is because pdftex needs 2 files to work, borrowed from
ConTeXt. Last year (TL6) `pdftex collection' contained
those macros and I think the standalone pdftex still has them.

As ConTeXt depends on installing also eTeX, the `basic' (???)
installation contains now:
 texmf/tex/contex/ ~5.2mb
 texmf/tex/latex/  ~4.8mb ;-)
not counting additional binaries, etex macros, doc files, etc.
[it is nothing against ConTeXt, I really appreciate Hans' work!
And I use ConTeXt from time to time. I'd only like to find any
consent for all, maily beginners.]
What can happen if the user will tune only needed `basic' scheme,
e.g. removing context (at the moment of installation he/she knows
quite nothing about that)?
Please, consider the simplest LaTeX example without *full* context
(and etex) installed:
\begin{figure}
\hbox to\textwidth{\hss\includegraphics{foo.mps}\hss}
\end{figure}

You'll get:
! Undefined control sequence.
\Ginclude@mps ...y \fi \fi \hbox {\convertMPtoPDF
because of missing 2 files: supp-mis.tex and supp.pdf.tex.

So the main question (mostly to Hans): are those 2 files still can
belong to *standard* pdftex stuff (as well to ConTeXt)?
If so, can tex-pdftex.tpm contain 2 more lines:
 texmf/tex/context/base/supp-mis.tex
 texmf/tex/context/base/supp-pdf.tex
to make happy LaTeX users? [I'm not LaTeX user ;-)]

Thanks,

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
email: staw@gust.org.pl