[tex-live] tl7 plans

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 22:28:09 +0000

Any of you tracking TL7 should synchronize, as I just
made many changes to the texmf tree. Unfortunately, it is now
almost certain that I cannot now fit in 650 mbytes.

The choice now is between
 * 700 Mbyte CD
 * DVD
 * 2 CDs
 * leave out lots of Unix binaries
 * start throwing packages out
 * compress everything into compressed archive files (and call it TeX Dead)

my current plan, on which I canvass views, is to make 2 CDs

 * one with Windows and Linux i386 binaries, + texmf
 * one with all the other Unix binaries, + texmf

ie with most of the CD duplicated. If the numbers work out, this
seems the most plausible solution.

Otherwise, I think that moving to "TeX Dead" (with a better name) is
probably the way to go. I just cant bear the thought of all the work
and argument involved, though!