[tex-live] 20000425 image on Windows: disappointment!

Janusz S. Bień jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl
25 Apr 2002 17:13:07 +0200

I have just tested the 20000425 image (which in `.mkisofsrc' is
described as TeXLive-7-20020422) on Polish Windows 2000.

Th scenario which interests me is the use of TeXLive e.g. by a student
on a departamental computer. So I log in as a regular user, put the CD
and when the installer starts I choose "Run TeX off CD-Rom".

Then I am forced to (try to) install WinShell, which I find
unacceptable for several reasons, e.g. I may prefer to install NT
Emacs (of course, a properly configured one).

When I try to install WinShell in default directories, the
installation fails because a regular user is not allowed to write in
"Program Files" directory.

When I try to install WinShell in a writable directory, I get

Error creating registry key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wsp

RegCreateEx failed; code 5.

Best regards