[tex-live] Re: TeX Live UNIX shell scripts

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 14:24:38 +0100

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 05:06:29PM +0400, Vladimir Volovich wrote:

> how strange then -- i sync'ed just now, and still see the differences
> in texshow and texutil for these two directories (alpha-linux and
> alphaev5-osf4.0d) - and a missing mktexfmt in alphaev5-osf4.0d.
>
> does p4 work unreliably?
not in my experience

> i run
> P4PORT=sun2.dante.de:1666 p4 sync
>
> how can i force p4 really verify all files?

do
 p4 sync ...#none
which will remove your local copy, then p4 sync again.

> another question -- if i create a file locally inside Master or Build
> dir, p4 does not remove it when i do a sync, and does not warn me that
> it is not present in master repository (as CVS does).

thats true. its a feature, rather than a bug, I think. you can
always do
 find . -type f | p4 -x - add
and see what it throws up.

CVS and Perforce have rather different views on how people
should work.

> Perl, sh, and scripts in other scripting languages should not be
> different across unix platforms in TeX Live, and should not require
> any rebuilding for different platforms.

undoubtedly true. but when do I find the time to check
all the documentation and scripts? if someone else does it,
I'd be more than happy.