[tex-live] Re: TeX Live UNIX shell scripts

Gerben Wierda sherlock@rna.nl
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 09:54:51 +0200

On Tuesday, April 16, 2002, at 04:53 , Nelson H. F. Beebe wrote:

> The automake developers tracked down the problem on Apple Darwin: its
> /bin/sh is based on the zsh implementation of the Bourne shell, and it
> parses the above text incorrectly.  Inasmuch as MacOS X is starting to
> get widely deployed in millions of systems, this problem is going to
> be more severe, since I expect it will take a long time for Apple to
> fix it.  I don't even have a bug-reporting channel to them to alert
> them to the problem.

There are more problems with Mac OS X. But I have heard an unconfirmed
statement from close to the inside (how vague can you get) that Apple
plans to replace zsh with bash as their sh implementation. But that is
completely unconfirmed. I guess Apple might announce an update in a few
weeks when they are holding their World Wide Developer Conference.

Gerben