[tex-live] Problem with mktexpk

Staszek Wawrykiewicz StaW@gust.org.pl
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 05:42:21 +0200 (CEST)

Michael Barr <barr@barrs.org> wrote:
> ... The odd thing is that the regular cm fonts complied with no problem

It is because cm fonts are generated from MF sources by default.
By the way, it is somehow strange: we have on the CD
texmf/dvips/config/config.ps
which includes (hopefully) Type1 cm fonts:
p +bsr.map
I do not understand why texsetup still makes such a copy
texmf-var/dvips/config/config.ps with
%p +bsr.map
which excludes cm in Type1 format for dvips and windvi runs.

> ... so I tried
> copying the xy*.mf files into the same directory as the cm sources (and
> then ran mktexlsr), but it didn't help.

As we have already xypic font maps in psfonts.map, all actions made by
windvi goes to gsftopk (Type1 fonts rendering by GS). It means that xy*.mf
files never will be used to generate .pk fonts.

> mktexpk: Running gsftopk xybtip10 600
> gsftopk(k) version 1.19.2gs: Aladdin Ghostscript: Can't find
> initialization file gs_init.ps

Perhaps we can catch the problem: which version of GS do you use?
It seems that older (<6.50) versions should have GS_LIB environment set,
e.g. set GS_LIB=c:/gs
(you can find yourself where all gs_*.ps files reside)
Newer versions of GS keep the variable in the registry (I hope ;-).

In the first message you wrote:
> I have a brand new computer with Win2000 (NT5)
As I can see your system is rather Win NT, but if it is really Win2000,
please install TeX Live in the proposed directory, not in:
> TEXMFCNF=c:\tex\texmf-var\web2c
> TEXMFTEMP=c:\tex\temp
but in
c:\Program Files\texlive\texmf

Fabrice, am I right that %TEXMFTEMP% directory should be below
c:\Program Files\  for win2k?

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
email: staw@gust.org.pl