[tex-live] TeXlive 6 and PostScript font .tfm and .vf files

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe@math.utah.edu
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 07:02:48 -0600 (MDT)

The TeXlive 6 CD-ROM (and earlier versions) comes with a large
collection of .tfm and .vf files for PostScript fonts.

For example, in the Times family, there are 50 .tfm files in
texmf/fonts/tfm/adobe/times, and 42 .vf files in
texmf/fonts/vf/adobe/times.

A local TeX user complained today of mismatches reported by xdvi
between the checksums in the .dvi file (from TeX's .tfm files), and
those in the .*pk files generated by gsftopk.

I traced this down to the ghostscript Fontmap file mapping Times-Roman
to NimbusRomNo9L-Regu, with similar maps for other Times variants.

I then generated a private Fontmap file that changed the mapping to

	/Times-Roman (Times-Roman.pfa) ;

Next, I removed the generated .*pk files from the TEXFONTS path, and
ran xdvi again.  As expected, xdvi called gstopk to generate the
missing fonts, and by running this under truss, the Sun Solaris system
call tracer, I verified that it was now using Times-Roman.pfa instead
of a n021003l.pfb file that is identical to the TeXlive 6
texmf/fonts/type1/urw/times/utmr8a.pfb file.

However, on using those new fonts, xdvi again complained of checksum
mismatches.

So, it appears that the Times-Roman.pfa (et al) fonts that I have here
differ from those used to generate the TeXlive 6 .tfm and .vf files.

Are there scripts (Makefile, *.bat, ...) somewhere that were used to
generate the texmf/fonts/{tfm,vf}/adobe/* files that I could get?  If
so, I can generate versions that are appropriate for the .pfa files
that we have here, and we should then be able to remove the checksum
complaints.

- Center for Scientific Computing       FAX: +1 801 585 1640, +1 801 581 4148 -
- University of Utah                    Internet e-mail: beebe@math.utah.edu  -
- Department of Mathematics, 322 INSCC      beebe@acm.org  beebe@computer.org -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233                       beebe@ieee.org                    -
- Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0090, USA    URL: http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe  -