[tex-live] Re: TeXLive6-20000718 and xdvi

Janusz S. Bień jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl
23 Oct 2001 08:09:50 +0200

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001  Stefan Ulrich <stefan.ulrich@elexir.de> wrote:

[...]

> [...]

I just noticed that it does not affect all the fonts, see below.

[...]

> >> If all this doesn't help, you could also try the `-not1lib'
> >> option.
>
> > Only this last suggestion helps.

The problem appears systematically on three computers running both
stable and unstable version of Debian (and various window
managers). However, if I work on one of them remotly making ssh from
another version of Linux (probably Polish Linux Distribution), the
display is correct. I reported the problem on Polish TeX Users list
but got no reaction - this may mean that the problem does not occur on
most popular versions of Linux.

In all cases I run TeXLive directly from CD.

> So there's no change when you use -gamma? This is strange.
> Could you please try the following:
> tex testfont
> (then at the prompts:)
> cmr10
> \table
> \bye
>
> and then:
>
> xdvi testfont.dvi &
> xdvi -gamma 2 testfont.dvi &
>
> Are both results identical w.r.t. greyness of the fonts?

Yes, with second call the letters are darker.

> Is there a difference with `-not1lib'?

Only with -not1lib the font seem to have the correct size.

> >> Please report xdvik bugs (also) to the sourceforge page:
> >> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=23164&atid=377580
>
> > Is this address correct?
>
> That's a web interface for bug reports, yes.

I asked because I had some problems accessing it.

> > Is it possible to report by e-mail?
>
> You can always send them to:
> ulrich@cis.uni-muenchen.de
> (and a CC to janl@linpro.no) or to
> xdvi-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> to which you can also subscribe here:
>
> > I hope to find time next week to describe the bug in more details.
>
> Yes, it would be good if we could sort that out.
> It might be useful to have the following additional information:
>
> - sample .dvi file, or fonts used in there (unless it's a
>   `standard' file, e.g. one part of the teTeX documentation)

I found an interesting case, when only part of the display is wrong -
I point it with a comment in the source file.

> - full output of `xdpyinfo'
>
> - output of `xwininfo' (when clicking on xdvi window)

I enclose both of them.

Best regards

Janusz

--