[tex-live] Re: TL6 platex problems

Janusz S. Bień jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl
09 Jul 2001 16:22:40 +0200

On 01 Jul 2001  jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl (Janusz S. Bień) wrote:

> The documentation recommends
>
>         VARTEXMF=/usr/TeX.local
>         export VARTEXMF

Now the documentation and install-cd.sh  say

VARTEXMF=/usr/TeX/texmf-var

However, you should say explicitly that one needs root privilidges to
follow the instructions. On the other hand, a user willing to run TL
directly from CD probably is not a root.

Perhaps install-cd should test whether it is called by root or not and
propose different defaults for TeX directory? For a user /var/tmp/TeX
seems a good suggestion.

On Sun, 1 Jul 2001  "Sebastian Rahtz" <sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> wrote:

[...]

> Janusz S. =?iso-8859-2?Q?Bie=F1?= writes:
>  > jsbien@pc4040d:~$ export PATH VARTEXMF
>  > jsbien@pc4040d:~$ platex mytest
>  > fmtutil: format directory `/tmp/Texlive6/web2c' does not exist.
>
> this is fixed in the current release

Yes, this works now in version of 3 July. However, pdfplatex produces a
lot of warnings like this one:

Warning: pdftex (file ecbi1000): Font ecbi1000 at 600 not found

The resulting PDF file is of course unusable. The file used for
testing was processed without problems by tetex installed from the
Debian package; it uses `polski' package with `T1' option.

Best regards

Janusz

--
                     ,