[tex-live] texlive too full

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 10:09:06 +0100

Staszek Wawrykiewicz writes:
 > Sebastian wrote:
 > > The TeX Live image now comes in at 662 mbytes.
 > Ooops, we've already removed systems/. It means that TeX is still growing up
 > and alive...
er, cancers grow too...

 > > - remove all but the most basic formats from texmf/web2c
 > If so:
 > 1. do anybody use mltex/mllatex ?
 > 2. do we really need huge* versions ? Perhaps it is good time huge* versions
 >    should became *standard* so we will have less questions like:
 >    `TeX capacity exceded...  what to do?''
well, yes, thats not a bad idea. will do at some point

 > If we still consider TL as runnable from the CD, leaving other formats
 > would be wise (even context*, which take more then 10MB ;-)

you can still run from the CD, but the format is created locally on
and put in VARTEXMF. so you just have to set that, and its OK

 > > 58524   texmf/source  !!!???
 > The most interesting thing that source is greater than running files.
 > The first candidate to zap.

i cant *zap* source, it would break license conditions. I could
compress all the files

 > > 166848  texmf/doc
 > > 179836  texmf/fonts
 > I do not want to comment all the mess with fonts ;-}
 > EuroTeX'2001 would be good place to discuss it.

:-}

sebastian