pdflatex from texlive5b fails

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Thu, 18 May 2000 05:31:55 +1000 (EST)

> So the explanation must be that the zlib compiled into Kaja's binaries
> does not run properly on Ross' computer. Can you expound on your
> configuration, Ross? what version of the OS do you have?

Well, it's not *my* computer; it's the main Unix installation
at CalTech, to which I am just a visitor.
I've forwarded this request to Eric Schneider,
who is in charge of doing the installation.
He is attempting to rebuild the binaries, and may reply.

Here is a little more information.

If I set the line in  pdftex.cfg to read:
  compress_level 0
then pdflatex works OK, as expected.

For what it's worth, my LaTeX source is as follows:

\documentclass{article}
%\usepackage{concrete}
\begin{document}
%\thispagestyle{empty}
\vglue.2bp
\vfill
\eject
\vglue.2bp
\thispagestyle{empty}
\vfill
\end{document}

The only *ink* is due to the page-numbers.
pdfTeX fails on the first page with a printed number.

However, there is a different problem when uncommenting the line:
 \usepackage{concrete}

Now, even with 0 compression, it gives a different error:

)) (./test.aux) (/ccovol/texlive5b/texmf/tex/latex/concmath/ot1ccr.fd) [1{/ccov
ol/texlive5b/texmf/pdftex/config/psfonts.map}{/ccovol/texlive5b/texmf/pdftex/co
nfig/lw35.map}{/ccovol/texlive5b/texmf/pdftex/config/rawfonts.map}] [2]
(./test.aux)fatal: memory exhausted (xmalloc of 12 bytes).

OK, ccr fonts are only available in bitmaps.
Indeed this error occurred on a completely fresh installation
where no ccr bitmaps had yet been generated.

So the document can never be fully made by pdfTeX,
but surely it should not produce a fatal error like this.

After processing first with latex + dvips to generate bitmaps,
the document worked fine (still only with  compresslevel=0 ).

All the best,

	Ross