new binaries for TL5

Kaja P. Christiansen kaja@daimi.au.dk
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 18:50:33 +0100 (MET)

As agreed with Sebastian, I had a look at making the TL5 binaries
for Solaris, HP-UX, SGI and Linux (available platforms at Computer
Science Department here).

I started with Build script, hoping to 'make world' (and \relax),
which should build teTeX tree, extra utilities, binaries, formats, ...
It wasn't very relaxing, but the world built itself, eventually :-)

In short, programs compile cleanly under Solaris7, while HPUX and SGI
*take time* and several hand-made adjustments. I'd be glad to provide
a list of encountered problems. I've also kept most of the intermediate
log files, for details.

Three sets of binaries have been uploaded to sun2.dante.de today:

  platform     OS release      directory

  Sun          SunOS 5.7       /texlive/bin/sparc-sun-solaris2.7
  HPUX         HP-UX 10.20     /texlive/bin/hppa2.0-hp-hpux10.20
  SGI          IRIX64 6.5      /texlive/bin/mips-sgi-irix6.5

They are based on sources dated Feb 29.

A few comments:

 - HPUX and SGI: texinfo didn't build. relevant binaries are based on
   the original texinfo-4.0 from gnu distribution.

 - SGI: freetype didn't build, is missing.

 - directory texmf-local (current TEXMFLOCAL) should be present for
   'texconfig init', otherwise texconfig crashes looking for config.ps file.
   (there is texmf-localconfig, but it doesn't seem to be used for anything).

Cheers
kaja